Accepting 2017 Sponsorship opportunities now
The Endowment Trust Board of the Boone County Historical Society is pleased to announce the election of the Hall of Fames three latest honorees. The Board has honored one inductee in each of three categories: a business or organization, posthumous recognition for a deceased individual and a living individual. Candidates for enshrinement must have demonstrated a contribution to the development, growth and preservation of Boone County and, further, demonstrated significant personal achievement that brought distinction to themselves and to Boone County through state or national recognition. Here are the three newest members of the Boone County Hall of Fame….
Founded in 1884, it is one of the oldest continually running businesses in Boone County. The nationally-acclaimed eatery and pool hall is located on south 9th street in downtown Columbia. The present location is its fifth in the downtown area since its founding and yet its same address since 1926 when it moved across the street from its location on the second floor of the old Virginia Building (now the Atkins City Centre). Booches is known for the saying “Closed on Sunday, see you in church,” among other witticisms posted on their walls, including “No sniveling.” Also adorning the walls are faux-original comic strips incorporating Booche’s regulars, team photos of the Mizzou football teams in the early 1900s, and other old-time sports memorabilia. Booche’s received its name when its original owner, Paul Blucher Venable, was nicknamed “Booch” as a child. The restaurant has gone through many owners in its time and was male-only until the 1970s. Their cheeseburgers, which are served on wax paper, were named one of the top ten burgers in America by USA Today in 2000. In 2005, Jerry Shriver of USA Today included Booche’s hamburger on the list of top 25 dishes from his “Down-home Dining” project and Booche’s continues to attract national attention to Columbia and Boone County today, in it’s 132nd year of existence.
Graham grew up in Fair Grove, Missouri on his family farm and would travel to Columbia to study Agriculture. He was a member of the Epsilon Sigma Phi National Honor Society and served as president of Gamma Sigma Delta, the National Honor Society of Agriculture. Before graduating with a bachelors and a masters in extension education he was the pitcher for MU on two Big Six championship baseball teams in 1941 and 1942. He turned down a professional baseball contract with the St. Louis Browns in 1942 before serving as an infantry officer in WWII and becoming a paratrooper instructor. In the late 40s he went to work for University of Missouri Extension, where he remained for 33 years. Over the last 17 years of that career he was the Director of the State 4-H Youth Development Program. He would become to be known statewide as “Mr. 4-H”. In 1949, Frank was one of eight founding members of the Missouri 4-H Foundation, and continued his involvement with the foundation until his death. He was a former member and chair of the National Extension Committee on Policy for 4-H Youth Programs, and he served on the National 4-H Foundation Board of Trustees. In his honor, the Missouri 4-H Foundation created the Frank Graham 4-H Volunteer Leadership Award in 1999. Frank was inducted into the National 4-H Hall of Fame in 2004.
For many years he owned livestock farms and Melody Acres Quarter Horse Ranch in Boone County. Graham is a former Boone County Presiding Commissioner, serving from 1987 to 1991 and during his term he approved the first lease that Boone Hospital signed for BJC Health Center, as well as led the completion of the new jail and remodeling of the courthouse.
Waters became publisher of the Tribune in May of 1966 and has written a daily editorial for the paper ever since, even beyond his retirement as publisher in 2010. This year marks the fiftieth year that Waters has published a daily editorial, and having done so at least 355 time each year, he has penned over 17,700 editorials. He first worked as a Tribune “paperboy” in the late 1940s. At age 18 he began to sell ads for the Tribune after transferring from Washington and Lee University to begin political science studies at the University of Missouri. Waters graduated Phi Beta Kappa in 1951. Under his leadership over 44 years, the Tribune grew into an employer of over 300 professionals and a paper that won hundreds of state and national awards. He received the University Of Missouri School of Journalism’s High Honor award in 1980 and was inducted into the Missouri Press Association’s Hall of Fame in 2001. His commitment to Columbia and Boone County is reflected in his work with dozens of civic organizations. Those many organizations include the Reality House, Boys and Girls Clubs, The Arrow Rock Lyceum Theater, the State Historical Society, the Columbia Chamber of Commerce, the Missouri Press Association and the Columbia Parks and Recreation Commission.
Membership in the Boone County Historical Society is available to the general public for as little at $40 and supports the preservation of our county’s rich history. While the Society is over 90 years old, the Museum itself, with its new red roof, celebrated its 25th anniversary this July 11 with a free event on the Museum’s grounds. The Society and the Museum are located at 3801 Ponderosa Street off of Grindstone Parkway. The Walters Boone County Museum includes a Museum store, a genealogical library, and the Montminy Art Gallery. BCHS also curates the History Village at Boone Junction and the Maplewood House in Nifong Park.
Sparkle AbbeyJuly 16, 2016
We are proud to announce that the Missouri Humanities Council has recognized Meet the Author and is now an important sponsor, joining the Columbia Office of Cultural Affairs and the Missouri Arts Council.
Free Admission - Free Coffee. On Saturday, July 16. Doors open at 9:30am, Presentation at 10:30am.
Harold's Doughnuts always on hand.
Stay up-to-date with the most recent news about exhibitions, performances, and special events at Boone Museum & Galleries through our regularly scheduled email newsletter. Leave your email below to receive a free monthly newsletter, conveniently delivered to your inbox.
Columbia history buffs: have you heard about "Images of America: Columbia"? This book covers our town's history in educational excellence and MUCH more. Come grab your copy! Open til 4:30 ... See MoreSee Less
View on Facebook
The Village at Boone Junction is open April 1 through October 30 for tours of four or more visitors by appointment. Come check out Boone County landmarks that take you back in time to the frontier days...More Info
The Montminy Gallery is proud to present acclaimed St. Louis artist, M. Shawn Cornell...More Info
Established in 1990 by the Boone County Historical Society, construction of the Walters History Museum was made possible with donations from businesses and individual members of the Central Missouri community. Come experience the exhibits on display today!More Info
Listed on the National Historic Register, Maplewood House was built in 1877 by Slater Ensor Lenoir and his wife Margaret Bradford Lenoir, both of whom were members of Boone County pioneer families....More Info
The covered veranda and the large, adjacent gazebo provide a vista of beautiful and historic Nifong Park with the Maplewood House peeking through the trees. A popular location for happy hour receptions and wedding receptions, the space can seat up to 100 people and is available for as little as $450.
The 18’ x 25’ conference room features a variety of meeting table and chair set-ups, free Wi-Fi, telephone use and onsite copy service. Rental is $80 for 3 hours and is discounted for non-profit groups.
This splendid home was built in 1877 and is on the National Historic Register. It is available April 1 through October 30 each year and is a unique location for your next bridal shower or tea. It can host small groups of up to 25 in its magnificent first floor and rates begin as low as $200. (Maplewood is currently being renovated and will not be available to rental clients during the summer of 2016. Please contact us about your 2017 event).
The gallery is a very popular rental for luncheons, cocktail receptions, sales awards meetings and small wedding receptions. Its horse-shoe shaped 4,000 sq. feet features art exhibits by the region’s best artists. Rental rates for this beautiful space begin at $450 and could increase depending on the size and length of the event. Included are set-up, tables and chairs. A handsome podium and a 8-channel sound system are also available for an additional charge.