Maplewood House and Historic Nifong Park
Listed on the National Historic Register, Maplewood House was built in 1877 by Slater Ensor Lenoir and his wife Margaret Bradford Lenoir, both of whom were members of Boone County pioneer families.
The farmstead was called Maplewood because it was located in a grove of large sugar maple trees. Only four people lived in the home; the Lenoirs, their daughter Lavinia, and later Lavinia’s husband, Dr. Frank G. Nifong.
The main house was constructed with bricks fired on site and in part with lumber obtained on the surrounding farm. The house shows the influence of the Italianate architectural style, featuring decorative corbels supporting the projecting eave of the roof; arched windows; a bay window; a balustered front balcony and oriole window.
The original footprint of the house was T-shaped, with sleeping porches built along the south side of the house. Built with an eye to the expedience of a working farm and best practices in safety, the house included a separate summer kitchen, and originally had a covered walkway that connected to the back door of the house and the serving pantry.
Maplewood House reopens for the 2020 season on April 1.
Tours are by appointment only starting April 1st on Wednesdays through Sundays between 11 AM and 3:30 pm each day until October 31st.
- $5 per adult and $3 per youth, ages 6 to 14
- Ages 5 and under are free
Please call a week in advance for a tour appointment.Contact Us
In 1891 the sleeping porches were enclosed and an octagonal wing was added to the south side of the house. At the back of the house, a foundation was dug and an interior kitchen and servant’s room on the second floor were added.
With the return of the newly married Frank and Lavinia Nifong to the house in 1905, bathrooms were added to the west ends of the enclosed sleeping porches, and the house was wired for electricity. Across the front of the house, the porch was enclosed to make a sun room, and a porte cochere was added to the north side of the house, over the driveway and leading to the carriage house.